Thursday, October 02, 2008

Victoria: Abortion Law Reform Bill 2008

... Sure, it pertains to the upcoming U.S. Presidential election but nonetheless it is relevant viewing ...

Via Jill Stanek, here's the powerful video from Catholic Vote 2008:



As debate continues over the highly controversial Abortion Law Reform Bill which goes before the Victorian Upper house next Tuesday, we stumbled upon a moving video. Moreover, as many bloggers wrote before me, after having a look myself I agree, “It is powerful.” Sure, it pertains to the upcoming U.S. Presidential election but nonetheless it is relevant viewing.

There are over 90,000 abortions in Australia each year; a figure that we should seek to reduce. Life, faith, and family is paramount - vote life in 2008.

Background

The new laws seek to remove abortion from the Crimes Act and allow terminations for any reason up to 24 weeks into pregnancy after which, the support of two doctors is needed. The laws passed the lower house 47 votes to 35 earlier in September.

Links

Late-term abortion a life and death debate
Herald Sun, Australia 28 Jan 2008
The claim that late-term abortion is done only in cases of lethal abnormality or to save the mother's life is demonstrably false.

Doctors warn of abortion law exodus
The Age, Australia - 29 Sep 2008
Victoria could face an exodus of health professionals if the Government's proposed abortion law goes ahead in its current form, a new coalition of doctors ...

Abortion laws face growing hostility
The Australian, Australia - 28 Sep 2008
Victoria's proposed abortion laws face a potential legal challenge from Catholic hospitals and a withdrawal of services by concerned doctors as the ...

Totalitarian abortion law requires conscientious disobedience
CathNews, Australia - 23 Sep 2008
The abortion debate has produced a standoff in Victoria over church-state relations and freedom of conscience. It is time to seek a resolution which ...

For those of you reading this post via feed please click here to view the video.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

... "it pertains to the upcoming U.S. Presidential election but nonetheless it is relevant viewing" ... The message is clear, thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I found this line moving, "The family must be strengthened not redefined, human life is paramount from conception to natural death

God bless

Debbie said...

Abortion is a very contentious subject for those on both sides.

I can tell you I worked at a very large law firm in Memphis Tennessee for the top partner of the firm, and also I did work for a couple of associates.

One associate was the attorney for Planned Parenthood. We worked great together, she was and is a fine person, but rabid about abortion -- it should be available to anybody and everybody according to her thoughts and to Planned Parenthood of course.

I wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper expressing my views AGAINST abortion, any abortion.

The next morning after the paper came out, that attorney wanted me fired. I needed that job as my husband was in Medical school and I was the only one working at the time.

Lucky for me, the top partner told me I was not only NOT fired, my job was secure and I did not have to work on anything connected to Planned Parenthood. I could swap that work out with another employee and take on some of her/his work.

People have strong beliefs that abortion is either necessary or it is vile and should never happen. This has become part of politics, no way out of it.

I'm so sorry to be so long getting over here. I can't seem to catch up.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

Jennifer said...

Wow, that was a moving video! This is an issue that is very important to me. Like Debbie said above, you either hate it or are all for it. On my site, I have a section dedicated to my being pro-life. This bill sounds like it is causing quite an uproar and that is good! I wish it would do the same in the U.S.

I feel bad for the doctors that don't want any part of it because they are really left with no choice. They have to send them to someone that has no problem with it, which I guess is better than making them do it themselves??

It doesn't even seem to be an issue in our election as it should. It's taken a back seat and as the movie points out, life should always come first!