Monday, June 30, 2008

Alexander Downer quits politics

A Great Loss!

ALEXANDER Downer has confirmed he will quit politics and work as a United Nations special envoy to help peace talks in the long divided island of Cyprus. Mr Downer, in London for private discussions about his future life after politics, said yesterday he was looking forward to the new challenge.

Earlier today, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said he fully supported his predecessor becoming a United Nations envoy in Cyprus.

Alexander Downer was an excellent Minister in the Howard Government, he became the longest serving Foreign Minister of Australia on 20 December 2004. I have included an image of Mr. Downer and U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (from the U.S. Department of State Website) with whom he had an excellent working relationship.

Alexander Downer on Kevin Rudd

“Kevin Rudd works hard; he has a fascination with the media. But I think he is, at the end of the day I think he is the ultimate political opportunist. I think he is somebody who will never take a strong stand on an issue that he passionately believes in if that’s unpopular. He’ll always try to find a popular position or an easy position. So I mean I don’t think he in any way matches the if you like political strength and the political courage of a John Howard. I don’t think there’s any comparison between the two. I think he is a hard working, media fascinated opportunist.” Source: Australian Story

I am compelled to add; that is about as accurate an assessment of Kevin Rudd as you’ll get.

We wish him well in his new U.N. role.

Click here for image source

No comments: